Response to the crisis in Ukraine:
Information for Ukrainians

Last updated: 2022-06-08


Government of Canada response

The Government of Canada has announced it will expand settlement support for Ukrainians coming to Canada. Ukrainian nationals can to arrive in Canada via several pathways, including the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET).

Government of Prince Edward Island response

The Government of Prince Edward Island is committed to supporting Ukrainians who may want to relocate here in the coming weeks or months. The provincial government is working with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to help the movement of Ukrainians who have to leave their country and who are making their way to Canada, settling here temporarily or permanently.

Immigrant & Refugee Services Association PEI (IRSA)

IRSA PEI is a local settlement agency funded by federal and provincial governments with a mandate to help new immigrants settling in the province of Prince Edward Island. IRSA is currently working with all levels of government to make sure that there are adequate supports in place for Ukrainians who make their way to PEI. IRSA settlement workers can help with obtaining essential documents, finding housing and employment, and school enrollment.

Resources across Canada

Atlantic Canada

Other Canadian provinces

National resources

Government of Canada
Other resources

First things to do

  • register with IRSA
  • find a place to live
  • apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • apply for a PEI Health Card
  • apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)
  • apply for the GST/HST Credit
  • open a bank account
  • get your name on the waiting list for a family doctor
  • find out about local health clinics and emergency services
  • get your language ability tested and find English classes for you and your family
  • register your children in school

More information

Essential documents

Settlement workers at IRSA can help you obtain the essential documents you will need immediately upon arrival.

To get employment, you need the Social Insurance Number (SIN).

To access health care services, you need PEI Health Card.

If you are a driver, you will need the PEI driver's licence. If you are not a driver, you can apply for the Voluntary ID.

More about essential documents

Looking for housing

Currently, there is a housing shortage in PEI, and it may take sometime to find permanent accommodation. However, many Islanders have offered space in their own homes or properties they own to Ukrainians arriving in PEI at this time. If you cannot find accommodation on your own, IRSA settlement workers will help you connect with housing donors.

More information on looking for housing in PEI

Looking for employment

The employment specialists at IRSA can help you find employment. They can help you with putting together your resume, writing cover letters, filling out job applications, and preparation for job interviews.

More information on employment in Canada

Need help enrolling children in school

The Youth Settlement Services (YSS) team at IRSA can help you get your children enroll in school. They will work with your family and the school system to determine in which school and grade your child will be placed. If your child is of pre-school age, a settlement worker at IRSA can help you find child care if needed.

More information for parents, children and youth

Frequently asked questions

Immigration pathways

How can I come to Canada as a Ukrainian national?

In support of those affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada created the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) to help Ukrainians and their family members come to Canada as quickly as possible and to provide them with the ability to work and study while in Canada.

Why does the Government of Canada not consider Ukrainians coming to Canada under recently announced permanent or temporary residence programs refugees?

The European Union has a generous support package for displaced Ukrainians within Europe. Technically speaking Ukrainians have a durable solution closer to their country in place and do not need resettlement.

Financial assistance

Will I get any financial assistance?

Ukrainian families who are in Canada under the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) can apply for financial assistance. The assistance is a one-time, non-taxable benefit. It’s to take care of your basic needs while you get settled in Canada. Families can expect to receive $3,000 for each adult (18 years of age or older) and $1,500 for each child. You can apply online. More information

Services eligibility

Will Ukrainians arriving under temporary resident visas with a 3-year open work permit be able to access settlement supports like federally funded adult English language classes?

Yes, it was announced on March 30 that Ukrainians under temporary resident visas will be eligible to access all federally funded settlement programming. More information