Newspapers and Magazines
Reading newspapers and magazines can help you stay informed about events in the world, Canada, and here in PEI. While much of this content can now be found online, some people still prefer reading it in print. On the Island, you can get several local and national newspapers, as well as a variety of magazines.
Some of these newspapers and magazines you can buy in stores, some are free and can be picked up at certain public locations, some can be delivered or mailed to your home, and most can be accessed online. [See Related Resources]
Canada has two national daily newspapers:
- The Globe and Mail
- National Post
Larger newspapers occasionally issue special publications -- inserts that come along with the newspaper, such as the Real Estate Guide.
Here are some newspapers and other publications produced in PEI:
- The Guardian is the largest newspaper on the Island. It is published in Charlottetown from Monday to Saturday. This paper includes local, national, and international news, sports, weather, a community section, entertainment, and the classifieds.
- Journal-Pioneer is the second-largest newspaper on the Island. It is produced Monday to Saturday in Summerside but is available across the Island. This paper has the same sections as The Guardian.
- The Buzz is a free monthly paper featuring local entertainment schedules and articles about festivals, music, art shows, and other cultural events on the Island.
- Eastern Graphic and West Prince Graphic are smaller community newspapers. They are published every Wednesday.
- County Line Courier, from Kensington, and The Northern Star, from North Rustico, are two community newspapers published on a monthly basis.
- La Voix Acadienne is the only French-language newspaper in PEI. It is published every Wednesday.
- Island Farmer is a biweekly newspaper that is the voice of agriculture in PEI.
- Employment Journey is a monthly insert in The Guardian that is a resource for career planning and job seeking in PEI.
- Voie de l'emploi is a monthly insert in La Voix acadienne that is a resource for career planning and job seeking in PEI in French.
The Canadian magazine industry issues many weekly, biweekly, monthly and periodical publications. Magazines often focus on a particular topic, such as business, fashion, music, politics or sports.
Here are some Island and Atlantic Canadian magazines that may provide you with useful or entertaining information for your everyday life, and help you in further understanding of Atlantic Canadian culture:
- Salty is a PEI monthly magazine featuring stories related to farming and food.
- East Coast Living is a monthly magazine with information for Atlantic Canadian homeowners.
- Saltscapes is a monthly magazine with information on living in Atlantic Canada.
- Atlantic Books Today is a magazine on books from Atlantic Canada.
- Touch Base is a magazine published in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with local, regional and world stories.